[Herodotus2010] Listen to our discussion of Books 2 & 3

Andre Stipanovic astipanovic at mail.hockaday.org
Tue Dec 7 13:48:59 UTC 2010

Hi readers,
Great call last night!  We really covered good ground on Books 2 & 3,
while shoring up our experience with Herodotus' method of narrating
ethnography, geography, legend, history, and personal commentary.  It was
a very fruitful discussion.  I especially liked looking more closely at
his cultural comparisons.  Many of you commented on the role of religion
in Greek culture to help clarify Herodotus' point of view.  Thanks for
sharing your excellent insights.  Many thanks to those of you who
introduced discussion questions with your observations.
If you want to hear our discussion, please go to:
http://readingodyssey.posterous.com/

I look forward to our next call when we will discuss Books 4 & 5 on Mon
January 10, 2011.  In addition to reading about central and north eastern
Asia, we will also learn more about the Greeks in Ionia and their revolt
against the Persians.
Until then, send your comments and questions out to the group via email.
We will keep our blog updated and I will send out discussion questions for
Books 4 & 5 within the week.
Happy reading,
Andre