[Herodotus2010] Listen to the Herodotus Introduction online

Kent McKamy fieldsmckamy at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 16:27:53 UTC 2010

Good morning, all.

I'm Kent McKamy. Ran two of the US's larger public relations firms for nearly 35
years, got out of that field to focus on helping people develop more satisfying,
better rounded lives through coaching, personal leadership development (taking
charge of one's own life, one's own time and becoming more effective in whatever
one chooses to do).
Raised in Kentucky, lived for 28 years in Connecticut, have lived in New York
City the past 29 years.

Two years ago, I took off on a solo trip around the US to attempt what William
Least-Heat Moon described in his wonderful book, Blue Highways. Keeping to back
roads and country highways, I logged more than 7,000 miles, saw 36 states at
ground level, met & talked with some 350 people (many of whom I'm still in touch
with). Best adventure I've ever had.
How I spend time: walking 4-7 miles every day...reading spy books (Alan Furst &
Olen Steinhauer particularly), mysteries (from Reginald Hill to Lee Child to
Steig Larsson), motivational stuff (e.g., Dan Pink's Drive, Stephen Sample's The
Art of Contrarian Leadership), short story collections (James Salter, Mary
Gaitskill, John Updike, John Cheever and Tobias Wolff are favorites)...seeing
too many disappointing movies...writing short stories. ..and devoting time to my
wife.
Married (for the second time), have four grown children.
This is my first experience with the Reading Odyssey, having been inspired and
challenged when I met Phil Terry last month. Looking forward to more.

 Kent
(Consider the environmentbefore printing this email.)