[Herodotus2010] Next Discussion on Herodotus Book 7

Andre Stipanovic astipanovic at mail.hockaday.org
Sun Feb 27 22:04:36 UTC 2011

Dear readers,
Our next call is scheduled for Mon Mar 7.  I hope you are enjoying Book 7
as much as I am.  I look forward to discussing it with you in about a week
Sincerely,
Andre

Call information:
Dial 1 888 350 0075
conference code:  1100494#

Discussion & Study Guide Questions
Question #1
The decision for the Persians to invade Greece is a highly significant
one.  Starting in Book 7, chapter 8, what are Xerxes’ reasons for doing
so?  Are they based on national security?  personal revenge?  tradition?
anything else?
After Xerxes’ dreams convince the Persians to invade, does that make
Mardonios’ reasons any stronger?  Why or why not?

Question #2
In chapters 27-29, Pythios voluntarily offers Xerxes a great amount of
resources to help the war effort.  Xerxes appreciates the offer, but
becomes angry at Pythios soon after (38-39).  Is Xerxes justified in doing
so?  Does this story, which surrounds Xerxes’ order to ‘punish’ the
Hellespont, show Xerxes’ madness?  wisdom?

Question #3
The Ancient Greeks believed that “hubris” or ‘overweening pride’
would lead to a just punishment from the gods.  In which instances in Book
7, does Herodotus show Xerxes’ “hubris?”  In which instances is
Xerxes prudent?  How does Xerxes compare with his predecessor Darius in
balancing “hubris” with prudence?

Question #4
Before the crossing of the Hellespont, Xerxes and Artabanos have a
dialogue that begins with the ‘shortness of human life’ (chs. 46-52).
Both Xerxes and Artabanos have differing views on this and on the coming
invasion of Greece.  How does Xerxes justify his position vis-a-vis
Artabanos?  Given the situation and regardless of the outcome, do either
Xerxes or Artabanos have the stronger argument?

Question #5
Given Xerxes’ decision to allow the three captured Greek spies to see
his whole Persian force (ch. 147), what is Xerxes’ strategy as he
approaches Thermopylae?  Even with the exiled Spartan king Demaratos’
advice, what does Xerxes nevertheless cling to as his military advantange?
 What advantage to the Greeks is Xerxes constantly overlooking?  Why?

Question #6
The Delphic oracle predicted for the Spartans that “either their city
must be laid waste by the foreigner or a Spartan king be killed” (ch.
220).  Was this the main reason Leonidas decided to remain at Thermopylae?
 What other reasons are there?  Was the battle of Thermopylae militarily
significant or merely symbolic?

Question #7
What are your favorite stories from Book 7?  Which, if any, have you heard
about before in movies, books or popular media?