[Herodotus2010] Welcome to the Herodotus reading group

Andre Stipanovic astipanovic at mail.hockaday.org
Wed Sep 29 03:09:34 UTC 2010

Hello fellow explorers,

Let me introduce myself as your moderator.  My name is Andre Stipanovic
and I have moderated many Reading Odyssey discussion groups, including
multiple rounds with Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, and most recently a
pilot run with Xenophon.  Each time, I find myself learning more; each
time becomes a new reading for me.

As we encounter Herodotus' Histories, which set the blueprint for
subsequent historical accounts, I want to address a few issues which may
be on your minds.

First, remember why we are reading and experiencing this document
together:  so we can pool our collective reading experience in order to
understand Herodotus and his world, while also helping to make more sense
of our own.  Take advantage of this opportunity over the next few months
to ask questions and keep our conversations going over the phone and
online via email.

Second, as for the many references to people and places mentioned over
2500 years ago in the Histories, the Landmark edition of Herodotus tackles
these references well for us in footnotes, maps and, appendices.  The
Landmark edition format makes reading Herodotus very user-friendly.

For our first call on Monday October 11, please buy or borrow the Landmark
Herodotus, and read the introductory material in it found on pp.ix-xxxvi
by Rosalind Thomas.  We'll go over the ground rules for how a discussion
is held over the phone and introduce Herodotus, the "father of history."
Please see below for our reading schedule, listed by book.  Enjoy the
preliminary reading, let me know if you have any questions, and we'll talk
more on Oct 11.  I will send out the telephone # and passcode to get in to
the conference call as we approach our discussion date.

Sincerely,
Andre

READING GROUP SCHEDULE
All conference call dates start @8pm New York time and take place on